Friday, June 21, 2013

Pocket Diaper Reviews - Charlie Banana

I thought it would be good to review Charlie Banana diapers since most Target stores recently started carrying them and the idea of pocket diapers and ai2 diapers is now reaching a broader audience. So, a lot of questions have been popping up about them. I really wasn't looking to buy any Charlie Banana, but since they were there at Target, I wanted them to know that people will buy them if they are available, so I bought one. While I was standing in front of the display, deciding which print to get, I heard not one, but two people show interest in them. Neither bought any to my knowledge, but I think that most people are starting to catch on to the fact that cloth diapers isn't pins and plastic pants anymore and any way you look at it, that's great!


So, the one size Charlie Banana is a pocket diaper with a hybrid option. It is a PUL outer with microfleece inner and comes with 2 microfiber inserts that appear to be identical. A couple of unique features of Charlie Banana is the front pocket design and the elastic size adjustment (although, apparently, they stole that idea from fuzzibunz . . . ongoing lawsuits etc.). They seem to be good quality and despite the fact that I wasn't thrilled about the elastic adjustment because it seemed like it would be hard to find the right fit, I actually think it's pretty brilliant. It gives a more streamlined look than snap rises and it also means that you can adjust the rise to get a custom fit all the time, rather than being stuck with 3 size options and potentially being in between sizes. Charlie Banana is also advertised as a hybrid diaper because they offer the option of tucking a disposable insert into the pocket flap. However, I don't see what is so unique about that - you could do that with any pocket diaper after all.

The Good:

1) Quality materials. It seems sturdy and the feel of the materials is great. I haven't had this diaper more than a couple months though, so I can't speak to how it holds up over time.

2) Can fit a newborn. Still debating on a newborn stash? This diaper will actually fit from birth to potty training. I have seen it on 2 day old babies and it fit with plenty of room to spare on my 2 year old and it wasn't even on the largest setting. Well done!

3) Custom fit. As I said, the elastic provides a truly custom fit. Although, adjusting it every time your baby grows a tiny bit would get annoying. So far, I've found a setting that works and left it there until it really doesn't seem to fit anymore.

4) Very cute. They really do have some of the cutest prints that I've come across.

5) Easily accessible. All you need is a Target close by and you have quick and easy access to your cloth diaper fix. Sometimes you can find them on awesome clearance deals as well.

6) Trim. They give a nice trim fit and are not too wide. While they aren't my first under clothes choice, they are a good one.

The Bad:

1) Front Pocket. Whose idea was this?? I have both a girl and a boy and both of them always soak their inserts from the front first. So with this, 100% of the time, I have to reach in and get the insert from the soaked with pee end. On top of that, the inserts don't shake out well, so you really do have to actually pull it out.

2) A little hard to stuff. They are nice and narrow, giving a good trim fit, however, that makes it a little harder to get a hand through to stuff.

3) Price. They are on the expensive side for a pocket diaper. If I was looking to spend $20-23 on a diaper, these wouldn't be my first choice.

4) I haven't had time to test this theory, but I'm concerned about the size adjustment when the elastic gets stretched or relaxed.

Overall:
I'm liking this diaper a lot more than I thought I would. Even though I bought it purely to support the company and cloth in general, I'm glad I did. It's only been 3 months since I bought it, so I can't comment on how it works over time or how I'll feel about it a year from now, but for now, I like that I have one in my stash. If I found them on sale, I'd definitely consider buying more.

No comments:

Post a Comment