Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Pocket Diaper Reviews ~ Sunbaby

So, I would guess, based on what most cloth diaper moms talk about, that pocket diapers are the most popular. Therefore, I figured I would start my reviews there. Today, I will focus on the diaper that makes up the majority if my stash: Sunbaby!

I heard about sunbaby early in my cloth diaper research and bought 12 of them while I was pregnant. When my daughter was 4 months old, I bought another 12. While I was expecting my second, I bought 2 more for my daughter because I couldn't resist the prints and 6 for my son for a total of 32. Sunbaby has always been a staple of my cloth stash and probably always will be because, well, because they won't break the bank. Plus, Sun Pei keeps releasing prints that I really want.


They are a one size pocket diaper that come in 2 different sizes. Size 2 is about an inch longer and a tad wider. It has a PUL outer and microfleece inner. The basic diaper comes with one microfiber insert, but you can choose to purchase them with bamboo or bamboo blend inserts instead or without inserts. They come in packs of 6, 12 or 24. The more you order, the cheaper they are.

My 4 month old in a Sunbaby size 2


The Good:
1) Cheap. Really cheap. So cheap that people tend to be skeptical of them. Plus, you can get them through co-ops making cheap, dirt cheap. Actually, dirt costs more.

2) Cute prints. New prints are released frequently, so there's always something to get. What's even better is that the prints don't cost any more than the solids. The only bad thing is that if you are buying a set of 12, the 12 prints you want may not be available at the same time.

3) Good fit. Sunbaby diapers are reasonably narrow, giving a nice trim fit, without being so narrow they are difficult to stuff. I usually get a great fit on both of my kids in both size 1 and size 2. They fit my daughter from about 4 weeks through potty training.

4) Nice features. Pocket diapers are not all created equal and the sunbaby pattern has some great features. The inside is super soft fleece and has an inside pocket with a flap. I like that I can easily shake the insert out without touching it. I also like that there is a narrow layer of PUL on the inside along the top that prevents the fleece from wicking out the top. They have hip snaps, which I prefer to a double row of snaps because you can get a more customizes fit. My kids tend to be skinny with chunky legs, so it helps to fasten the hip snap wider than the waist.

5) They are easy and intuitive to use. They go on and off just like a disposable, so there is little to confuse a caretaker who may not be used to cloth.


My 2 year old in a Sunbaby size 1
The Bad:

1) Quality Control. Sunbaby are notoriously inconsistent. The sizes may not be exact, especially if they are "presize," the diapers that were released prior to owner Sun Pei introducing size 1 and size 2. There were also problems with the snaps for about a year and a half. The stitching is also not always as perfect as you would expect from more expensive brands.

2) Don't hold up as well as others. My diapers have been used in a large rotation for nearly 2 years. My sunbaby are looking the most worn and started wicking moisture to the outside of the diaper.

3) Not a good nighttime solution. We could never get through the night without leaks.


Overall:

I really like these diapers; I actually like them more than some of my pricier pockets. They are great, especially when you consider the price. I highly recommend them to all moms starting out with cloth. Sunbaby are great for filling out a stash with something affordable, for daycare or any other situation. Now, I would NOT recommend getting only sunbaby diapers. I definitely believe that there are better options for nighttime and they do take up quite a bit of diaper bag space. Also, now that some of them are being used on baby #2, I can't see them making it to baby #3 and I'm not convinced they will last until my son is potty trained. Although, the elastic is still remarkably tight. They also leaked quite a bit after my daughter's first birthday until we started adding an extra bamboo insert. If you are looking for a long term investment that will last through several children without ever spending another dime, these are not your diapers. If you are looking for a cost effective alternative to expensive pockets and all in ones that work and are cute, this is definitely your diaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment